1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GorkaMorka YakTribe site creation

Discussion in 'Da Stuff' started by Malo, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    GorkaMorka Tools are coming!

Work has begin in earnest on the GorkaMorka section of YakTribe Gaming, which brings the same class of tools as we've enjoyed for Necromunda to the world of Gork and Mork. Please be patient while the tools are built but feel free to post your suggestions, criticisms or any other comments you would like to provide while we construct the site.

I will update these posts with the progress as it occurs. Due to the similar structure between the YakTribe games, most of the structure and code will be copy/paste and a lot of the work will be different layouts based on needs as well as a lot of data entry mostly. Also since we're only dealing with 1 ruleset, this will expedite the process as well.

For GorkaMorka specific questions please post in this forum section. Most questions not related specifically to the tools creation may also be answered by @Gorkamunda and @Flamekebab, our resident Leads.

gorkamorka-coming.png

Azzabat, Gorkamunda, Tulkas and 2 others like this.
  2. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Current development status
    • Database table structure duplication from Necromunda to GorkaMorka
      • Table restructuring and additional GorkaMorka specific (vehicles) tables added
    • Mob creation interface initial version
    • Skills and Equipment library pages added
    • Base rules equipment and costs added
    • Warrior and vehicle injury/damage tables added
    • Base skills added
    Update 9th August
    • Most Mob page functions completed including vehicle creator/editor
    • Boy editor almost finished, basic functions in place
    • New creation and purchase system going in place for automatically adjusting teef
    Update 2nd September
    • Added vehicle information for boyz editing pages to show what vehicle they're assigned to as the Driver or Spanner
    • Removed Vehicle type from Vehicle editing
    • Added teef display and editing, gang creation starts with 500 teef
    • Buying Boyz and Vehicles now reduces the teef costs appropriately
    • Fixed a few bugs here and there
    Update 3rd September
    • Added Mob Creation sequence when first adding a mob. During this process, any boyz, vehicles and equipment deleted will be refunded to the teef automatically.
    • Adjusted code for boyz, vehicles and equipment to correctly modify the teef count
    Update 5th September
    • Separated Driver and Gunner for Vehicle creation/editing
    • Added Gunner identification in boyz editor

#2 Malo, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  3. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Reserved

4. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    Not trying to rush you at all, but are the vehicles going to be incorporated into the gang system too? If so, can they be also copied into necro for ashwastes (very similar set up I believe)

5. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Yes and yes :)

djmothra, Tulkas and spafe like this.
  6. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

This is going to be fun!

Gorkamunda likes this.
  7. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
  8. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

Let me know if you have anything I could help with :)

spafe likes this.
  9. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Well I'll be focusing on the cor development of the tools. One thing I'm not terribly great at is persentation. Since you have such a great looking site, perhaps you would like to dictate design, color scheme, imagery etc? I mainly focus on streamlining the system for optimal display on all devices but I know it could use some nice touches to make it really stand out.

I'll also be bugging you and @Gorkamunda for advice on how to implement certain things specific to the game. Vehicles in a new one for me and the whole income and purchasing is more streamlined that Necromunda so I'll be able to add more automation as well.

I'd also like to source as much graphics as possible for the different types of boyz and vehicles.

Gorkamunda, spafe and Flamekebab like this.
  10. Gorkamunda

Gorkamunda Adeptus Ineptus
    Staff Member Gorkamorka Warboss Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Hells to tha yeah!

spafe likes this.
  11. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Work has been progressing gradually, I've been able to mostly complete the mob, vehicle and boyz editors and working on a teef tracker system so boyz and equipment purchases will be tracked automatically.

Note that the CSS is the default for the Gorkamorka site at the moment. Towards the end of the tools creations I'll be making specific Gorkamorka adjustments to the color schemes and artwork, though you'll notice I use very little imagery on the new site.

Anyone have ideas or sources on iconography or small imagery for vehicles? I'd like to have generic icons for each type of vehicle available.

spafe and Flamekebab like this.
  12. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

Awesome! Let me know if you'd like me to input some data :)

Sounds like a good plan in all honesty. Sites used to go overboard with imagery and artwork and it's really hard to strike a balance.

If you've got something specific in mind I know a few people that might be able to help. What sort of size/proportions and what are we trying to convey? Is there an example from the existing Necromunda system that I can take a look at?

13. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    You fool! I'm going to take you up on that :D

If you take a look at the gang creator modal in the Necromunda site, you'll notice there is artwork for each of the gangs. Ideally I'd like to have that for Gorkamorka as well. At the moment I merely ripped a few images from sites but they'll need to be replaced unless I get specific permissions. I could get the artist to do more custom artwork for me but we're talking dollars here to have that done.

For the vehicles I was thinking of basic iconography to represent the various types so that they're readily identifiable from each other. Just side-on stuff like this but easily see the difference between a trukk and a buggy etc. I'd like to be able to do drag n' drop vehicle stuff for adding vehicles and other functions.

[​IMG]

spafe likes this.
  14. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

Hmm, it might be possible to do some glyphs to represent them. I just threw this together to represent Freebooters:
    [​IMG]
    On the dark theme it'll look a bit different (I use the light theme for YakTribe). There's some drop shadow stuff going on.

I'm not sure how to represent buggies and traks yet but I'll have a think.

Azzabat likes this.
  15. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Nice work, definitely appropriate :)

16. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    I'm currently integrating the automating cost adjustments for adding boyz and vehicles. If you delete a boy or a vehicle, should the cost be adjusted? I'm thinking no, it should be adjusted manually if needed. No dead boyz or destroyed vehicles will count towards rating so that doesn't matter. There's no "selling" of them either.

Post above updated with some changes.

17. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, sorry, Malo.

Also:
    Not 100 teef?

18. Gorkamunda

Should be 100, yes. I'm not totally sure what you mean, either. But bear in mind that we are eurotrash :)

19. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

I figured maybe 500 was to allow for extensive testing?
    Grimlug's Ladz have 62 teef sunk into one of their traks!

20. Gorkamunda

Man, that's one tricked out trak. Golden armour plates?