1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You can now insert a snapshot of your gang into a forum post! Read this thread for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Necromunda Compilations I & II - both now online and downloadable!!

Discussion in 'Rules & Mechanics' started by ArbitorIan, May 8, 2013.

1. Margorach

Margorach Gang Hero

Map
    Re: Necromunda Article Compilation - V1 ONLINE!!!

thanks a lot, browsing real fast noticed sothing...
    the ratsckin savage, how many advances does it get caus now it doesnt say :)

edit:

found another
    qoute from 141 just a typing error i guess
    "You many only roll once per scenario to see if any Special Characters
    will help your gang out"
    i think it should be "you may" :)

edit: and another page 148
    They new couple only got as far as
    the fourth course before D’Onne tenderly reached across the
    table and gouged the Count’s eyes out with a silver  sh fork.
    ( the new couple)

2. Anthony

Anthony Community Edition Editor
    Necromunda Custodian

Wow really awesome work ArbitorIan!

Look forward to the Citadel Journal and Gang War edition. :)

#22 Anthony, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  3. ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan Guest

Thanks!! I went through last night and noticed a load of typos as well - keep them coming, and once I've got a pile, I'll make a new version.

4. ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan Guest

Thanks Anthony - I just mentioned this in the other thread, but I'd happily make the same sort of thing for the NCE - I could move articles into it as and when they become 'NCE Approved'

#24 ArbitorIan, May 22, 2013
  5. Gorkamunda

Gorkamunda Adeptus Ineptus
    Staff Member Gorkamorka Warboss Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Re: Necromunda Compilation II - Underhive/LRB article pdf - V1 Online

Seeing as you already have the material ready and formatted (as far as I can tell), you two could probably team up (could well be finished in no-time). That way things won't have to be done twice!

1. Remove stuff that shouldn't be included (as of anthony's plan for Outlanders Community Edition, hence known as OCE).
    2. Apply changes and clear up wordings
    3. Release for playtesting

What do you think?

6. timbothetitan

timbothetitan Ganger

Map

Does anyone know a good way of compressing PDF (due to this one being over 90mb) I have tried using acrobat and smallpdf.com both with no joy!

7. nooker

nooker Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian

Map

Ok, I'm going to criticize, but hopefully in a helpful way as what you have done here is absolutely awesome!

Now I've only skimmed through your document, so this is just initial feelings. First, this is a massive document, an index would be good. The community could help with that. Related, is there any reason why the table of contents couldn't be alapha order within each section?

Second, bite sized might be easier to handle. If you're insane like me and want to print out, our work printer only staples through 50 sheets and even Kinkos (a copy store around here) says they can only get through 100 pages. Double sided you've got about 132 pages here. Don't loose the whole document, but having a "Special Characters/Hired Guns" edition & a "Scenarios" edition (I should send you my 100 or so scenarios) etc. would be useful to the nutjobs like me. Trying to keep it to about 100 pages would be of use.

Well, that's what I've got right now. I also have a ton of resources that might be of use. Pretty much everything that has been printed for Necromunda, including Confrontaton. I'd like to help as this is very cool.

@timbothetitan: I really don't know if that's gonna compress much. It's over 260 full color, with images, pages. Unless you degrade the quality to unreadable, I don't think it'll get much smaller.

#27 nooker, May 22, 2013
  8. ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan Guest

Thanks guys.

Yeah, part of the reason for me doing this was so that I could have it on my iPad - I have a LOT of wargaming PDFs and I was mostly trying to compress it down to a single file so I don't have hundreds of files to scroll through. I wasn't intending to print them, but if you did you could maybe print at two pages per side? So four per sheet? I used to do a lot of printouts like that.

I'd be up for making a 'scenarios' book, which might level out things if a lot of people complain about this. I'm trying (trying!!) to stick to Fanatic articles rather than 'house scenarios', otherwise it will never end, but if you have more, I'd certainly be interested!!

I get a little worried at the idea of an index - it's a lot of work and would take a good chunk of time, but I can certainly alphabetise the articles in the next version - there might be the odd discrepancy for formatting, but should be fine.

@timbothetitan: As far as file size goes, I really wouldn't compress any more than this - the parts that were already correctly formatted (the early Magazine articles) are just imported as images into my layout, which means that compressing might make certain sections unreadable.

#28 ArbitorIan, May 22, 2013
  9. Gorkamunda

Gorkamunda Adeptus Ineptus
    Staff Member Gorkamorka Warboss Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

With GW putting the final nail in the coffin on Necromunda, the work going on here is truly uplifting. Recruitment is going to get tougher, but having quality products rulewise is going to have a positive effect I think. I too would love to see a dual compilation of all the original articles, but I also hope that we could see a Scenario Appendix (with the CE stamp perhaps) in the future with a select (20-30), overhauled and rebalanced scenarios/campaign settings as a companion to the NCE/OCE. That would be pure awesome, and go a long way in making it easy and trouble free to get into Necromunda. That's my two credits anyway!

10. nooker

nooker Prodigal Viking of the Librarium
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian

Map

I have over 100. Almost all of them were published somewhere. Almost all of the published ones were published by GW.

Would you consider a similar treatment for Campaigns?

If someone were to make it for you, would you format it? Not sure I'm your guy, but I would consider such a thing.

#30 nooker, May 22, 2013
  11. ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan Guest

Absolutely - Formatting is the easy bit!! Might be worth waiting until I've done a revised version of this one for mistakes, though, as page numbers may change if I'm alphabetising things...

#31 ArbitorIan, May 22, 2013
  12. Bruticus

Bruticus Gang Champion
    Yak Supporter

Map

I thought about trying to put together a scenarios book (http://www.yakromunda.com/forums/http:/ ... ic.php?t=7) but it proved difficult to figure out what ones to use. Some scenarios are clearly bollocks and you can tell just by skimming over them - they are poorly worded or too vague, etc. But there are a lot that look decent and it is hard to tell unless you test them. Figuring out which scenarios are worth playing is quite tricky.

Maybe a scenario book could have 2-3 sections. One section of published scenarios (not that being published in Fanatic is any sort of indicator of quality) and one of other scenarios. And then maybe we could nominate favourites - ones we have tested or played a lot or just found fun - to give an approved stamp to?

For example - Lord of the Spire is a great scenario and everyone loves it, it deserves a stamp or something so people can find it more easily. It's quite subjective though - for example Caravan is fun but terribly broken, I am sure people enjoy it but we ban it in our group.

I thought another way to do it would be with a rating system in the Library on dakka but Malo has enough on his plate at the moment.

#32 Bruticus, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  13. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map

Is said the file was corrupted when I tried downloading it

14. grotkilla

grotkilla New Member

Legendary, thanks for the hours put into this ;)

i tend to do most of the arbitration for our group and it gets tiresome wading through the hundreds of pdf's (if you include the 70+ official scenarios!), especially post-game theres alot of flicking between pdf's! for me this is a godsend.

just a suggestion but what about adding the 'over 4,000 retirement plan' into the new rules section? i know its technically a scenario but im thinking more for newbs reading through this... its as much a new rule for what to do if your gang gets too powerful as it is a generic scenario. just a thought!

also in our last campaign we used 'settlement events part 1' and 'settlement events part 2' which are a modified substitute for the trading post rules. might be something else to add to new rules.

this is of course assuming this is more of a collection of articles where you pick and choose the sets of rules you want in a campaign as opposed to a single streamlined set of rules that all function together?!

oh and 'campaign events' is another one to throw in there!

anyway thanks again and nice job with the formatting... no more squinting at fuzzy pixels for me :eek:
    and definately seperate the scenarios into a seperate pdf, it'l be alot easier to add to cuz there's so many scenarios (thats just the official ones).

#34 grotkilla, Jun 6, 2013
  15. ArbitorIan

ArbitorIan Guest

Hi - I've finished Compilation I as well!!

This is the version that contains all the ORB era rules from the Journal/Gang War days. It's not formatted quite as nicely as Comp II - since most of the articles are image scans and I can't copy the text, but at least it's done, and all the rules are in one place.

OP edited...

16. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    Thats some seriously impressive work you've done there, my hat is off to you. I've got a copy, although think I may break it down into sections (gangs, hired guns, senerarios etc), but very useful having it all there ;D

#36 spafe, Jun 14, 2013
  17. grotkilla

grotkilla New Member

fantastic ;D i love it when a pdf comes together!

#37 grotkilla, Jun 15, 2013
  18. Santos

Santos Gang Champion

Map
    Kudos to you for this project, having all the bulk of GW material in one source really helps!

19. ejac85

ejac85 Juve

This is awsome. I have done something very similar and am planning to play test it this weekend. There are a few differences between our documents. Personally I included :

1. The Ratskin Variation rules. (includes the different Ratskin Gangs and the Shaman).

2. Anothony Case's Chaos Cultists (available from his website).

3. Ork Gang Details. - I had a lot of fun with this back in the day.

4. Arbitrator Scenarios

As far as compatibility is concerned, is there any reason why some of the older documents, say It Came From The Sump or the Orks, would not be compatible with the new NCE? I wouldnt think it would be unplayable as such? Unless there is something vastly different that I am missing?

20. cerebus

cerebus New Member

Wow.

I do love seeing my scans all over the internet these days.

It's a shame he based this work off my old stuff, when I was missing NM#11, and NMv2#3.

Oh well.