1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Necromunda WIP by jim

Discussion in 'Miniatures & Terrain' started by jimjimjimmyjim, Jul 29, 2013.

1. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    Latest WIP:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 jimjimjimmyjim, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  2. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    [​IMG]

#2 jimjimjimmyjim, Jul 29, 2013
  3. Margorach

Margorach Gang Hero

Map
    gotta love the chainsword arm thingy and the 2nd thing with the dippydrops brown stuff ive seen it somewhere before :)

4. Alobar

Alobar Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    If that was me I'd be worried of self harming with that third arm. Can you add a protector shield thing like on a lawn-mower!
    And yes, I know the answer will be no and I'm just being a pussio!

5. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    For all the hazard strips you see around necromunda, they are surprising lacking in any other form of HSE. Clearly all the Safety budget went on yellow and black paint :p

#5 spafe, Jul 29, 2013
  6. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    His a pit slave live free or die I guess. Besides it makes him look more tough

7. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    Arbiter judge:
    [​IMG]

#7 jimjimjimmyjim, Jul 29, 2013
  8. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    This is a bunch of terrain I have made from parts I dumpster dived from various bins:
    [​IMG]

#8 jimjimjimmyjim, Jul 29, 2013
  9. Blood Donor

Blood Donor Executive Officer in Charge of the 2014 Bake Sale
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Yak Philanthropist

Map
    With a full board of such cool terrain you need to:

a) PAINT THE DAMN WOODEN BOARD ITS ON!!! The terrain deserves it and it will tie it all together. Even if its just matte grey, its gotta happen. Because,

b) You need to make a thread with play-by-play photo journals of games you play. Seems you have a good group going that plays often with nice colourful terrain and a good assortment of gangs. It will help get people into Necromunda and help them learn game mechanics if there are battle reports on this site ripe with pics. You could edit photos and draw in arrows to show where models moved on their turn, and really capture the action!

I'd love to do all this myself, but I think you are a lot closer to being able to pull it off without the board and gangs looking 12% done.

10. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    Painting the boards is at the bottom of my to do list, I'm trying to get enough terrain first to complete 2 entire boards of necromunda terrain.

Anyways here's one of the big pieces I have been working on lately:
    [​IMG]

#10 jimjimjimmyjim, Jul 30, 2013
  11. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
  12. Margorach

Margorach Gang Hero

Map
    what is thaty stuff called u use as fences? cause for the love of god i cant find stuff like that :(

13. Anarkitty

Anarkitty Ganger
    Yak Supporter

Map
    Looks like "hardware cloth".
    Any big-box hardware store and most smaller ones should have it in big rolls, and it comes in square-sizes from 1/4" to 1". I use it for railings and ladders.

#13 Anarkitty, Jul 30, 2013
  14. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    In Australia it's called mesh and is often preceded by a measurement number so this is 6mm mesh, do this answer your question?

15. cardyfreak

cardyfreak Executive Officer in charge of Radishes
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Yak Supporter

Map
    There are a few things you can use as fencing-
    In order of quality of finish/look-

1- car body repair mesh; this stuff is sold in sheets by car accessory shops. Whatever is your local car shop that sells things like car cleaning products and other car maintenance things. There will be a section that sells things for repairing bumps and damage to the bodywork of cars. This is where you'll find the repair mesh.
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0846725600

2- plastic canvas, aka 'granny grate'; find your local haberdashery or sewing shop. Ask for plastic canvas. It comes in 'counts', these being the squares per inch. The higher the number, the smaller the squares (so seven count has bigger squares than 14 count)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/plastic-canvas

3- plasterers scrim tape; this will be found in a DIY shop or builders merchant. It is a tape used for sealing joins on plaster board. It looks like a big roll of tape but with holes in it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/scrim-tape

The car mesh looks the best but can be bent easily.

The plastic canvas is the most robust. Make sure you seal it before painting with either varnish or pva cos paint just peels off it.

Scrim tape is quite flimsy but is by far the cheapest for the amount you get. I use this more for lining things than for fencing, but I have used it as fencing. It works better if you double it over on itself. You can also get some cool effects by brushing it with watered down PVA before painting.

16. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    The stuff I use came from the rooftop of my neighbouring building. Whenever they have maintenance done they tend to leave all their off cuts just lying around which is actually quite dangerous cos it gets very windy up there and anything small or sheet like has the potential to be picked up and blown off the roof.

Anyways I tend to take this opportunity to jump the fence between our 2 sides of the building and go foraging for treasures.

17. chitching

chitching Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter Yak Comp 1st Place

Alternatively, you could try looking in Hobby/craft shops. I found a roll of the stuff for a couple of Pounds (£ not lbs). I don't know if it's something all craft shops sell, but it was between Model railway scenery/track and fashion mannequin foam heads. It is a really good thing to use for fences, like has been said, but also for walkways, panelling for buildings, making scenic bases or even for giving vehicles "Hillbilly armour"

18. Alobar

Alobar Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    Or go to ikea and get a roll of that stuff they put under rugs to stop them slipping. I got a massive roll of it for 2.50. When I say massive I mean at least half metre by 3 metres... You can cover a whole board with the stuff several times over...

19. jimjimjimmyjim

jimjimjimmyjim Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    ^ what do you use to make it stand upright? cos that non slip stuff that's under carpets is very rubbery, and its not exactly fence like, looks better as camo netting

20. chitching

chitching Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter Yak Comp 1st Place