1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You can now insert a snapshot of your gang into a forum post! Read this thread for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Yak 19 " Bits Box Challenge"

Discussion in 'Briefing Room' started by djmothra, Apr 10, 2017.

1. djmothra

djmothra Magister Competere
    Yak Supporter Yak Comp 3rd Place

Map
    Welcome there Yakkers, this is Yak19 - this time chosen by @Ned Noodle with a fantastic win in the last Competition.

This competition is going to be a little odd...and, we're going to ask you to be honest too.

"Bits Box Challenge" make something from ONLY using the old or spare parts that are languishing in your bits box or bag (everyone has one of these right? I have both)

Those bits of plastic you've keeping for no good real reason, well, now is the time!
    Got a second edition plastic Gretchin that's festering in your box? Turn it into something special!
    Offcuts of Polystyrene? Hills!

Quite literally anything is ok with this one, it could be Scenery/Terrain, a Vehicle or a Mini of course.

Special Rules.
    Only stuff from your box/bag. Nothing 'new' is allowed to be bought or acquired for this comp, it must come from previously unused stuff.
    No minimum or maximum size.
    Additional - whilst I foresee a lot of thrown together Necro Terrain, we're going to open this one up a bit and allow anything within the Genre - so it its for 40k, or SW:A, WFB or AOS that's ok too - as I know everyone will have wildly different stuff in their box of spare crap.
    Take a pic of your box first too please so we can get an idea of what to see in the final version!

EDIT Additional...on final entry please give us a pic of the bits used as well as the normal finished pictures. If you have started already and cant do this, please describe what you have used for us.

This comp will run for 6 weeks - close will be 22nd May. Please indicate your desire to enter here as well as the occasional update on your entry.

Any Questions - @djmothra and @ClockworkOrange will advise.

Good Luck Yakkers!

EDIT: Prizes donated by @Tiny

1st Prize:

Choice of:
    http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/scenery-terrain/sci-fi-scenery/concrete-jersey-barriers-set-of-5-intact
    http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/scenery-terrain/sci-fi-scenery/concrete-jersey-barriers-set-of-5-damaged
    or
    http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/scenery-terrain/sci-fi-scenery/concrete-jersey-barriers-set-of-5-ruined

plus a pack of these:
    http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/bases/r...s/25mm-round-hive-city-industrial-resin-bases

2nd and 3rd place get a pack of bases each.

#1 djmothra, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. djmothra

Map
    Reserved for Winners

3. djmothra

Map
    Reserved for Entries

4. BeardLegend

BeardLegend I can't grow a beard

Map
    Glue together some shit? Maybe slap some paint on it?

Hell, even I can do that.

In.

5. Kon-rad

Kon-rad Ganger

Map
    This is practically all I ever do! I'm in!

6. athetrichy

athetrichy Juve
    Yak Supporter

Map
    In! I've got a lot of bits and I just sorted them all too into little Harbor Freight greeble organizers!

7. ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange Apprentice Competere
    Yak Supporter Yak Comp 1st Place

Map
    It occurred to me that my bits box (actually the corner of my double garage) includes at least 3 unfinished projects - I'm going to say we'll leave the decision on whether you use an unfinished project to you, take pictures so people can judge the effort you've put in.

As guidance - My unfinished projects tend to be fully assembled but not painted so my Yak honour means I shall not be using them.

Edit - for example this is in my bits box, but I won't be using it in this comp.

IMG_7414.JPG

That said the newer bridge on the above started out like this (top left is how it had lived in my bits box for years) and I would see that as acceptable use of bits;

IMG_8340.JPG

Hope that makes sense. Possibly an extreme example.

Edit 2 - there is also the sitting and looking at something and wearing a pink cowboy hat route. For more details ask @Loriel (I think)

#7 ClockworkOrange, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    spafe, Ned Noodle, Ben_S and 4 others like this.
  8. CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous Gang Hero
    Yak Comp 3rd Place

Map
    In! I accept the Ned noodle blue peter challenge!!
    (y):)

9. Strobe

Strobe Ganger

So... uh, as I may have mentioned in a previous post somewhere in the past my "bits box" is actually the walk in wardrobe of the master bedroom in my apartment. I mean, I probably have 20 unfinished/unstarted entire gangs in the bits box not to mention a dozen Cities of Death buildings, crashed Aquilla Lander, the entire original Necromunda boxes set terrain a few hundred miscellaneous figures on sprue.

Basically, how broad are we talking bits?

Ned Noodle, Ben_S, trollmeat and 3 others like this.
  10. ClockworkOrange

Map
    If you use say a bit of the lander, with a bit of imperial city, with bits of ganger that'd work for me. Just completing a kit wouldn't.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit - see @djmothra original post. Take a photo of the bits box before you start.

11. Strobe

Strobe Ganger

Yep, that's kinda what I thought. I'll run my ideas by everyone before I get in to it to make sure it fits the group mind of what we're aiming for.

I'm pretty keen still!

12. TakUnderhand

TakUnderhand Gang Hero
    Yak Funder

Map
    Mmm, monster truck :D

~~~
    My "bits box" consists of a heap of laser-cut offcuts. And some Big Wheels.

13. Hellboy

Hellboy Juve
    Yak Supporter

Am I allowed to use Green Stuff or Plasticard for this one or is it just Bitbashing? I should have the bitz to build a reasonable Rogue Trader, maybe even a small diorama. I'm in!

14. ClockworkOrange

Map
    If you already have it in stock yes - although within reason you may buy new glue, paint and sundries (I'd include GS here but not new plasticard) to complete your project....

15. EOD448

EOD448 Ganger

Map
    So....... similar problem to many yakkers, how general are we going with bits?

Bits!
    Ones bits, the others spare sprue's (most incomplete). I've got an idea but I would like clarification on what I can use please.

Hellboy, Ned Noodle and trollmeat like this.
  16. ClockworkOrange

Map
    That's ok.

Hellboy and trollmeat like this.
  17. SirFrog

SirFrog Ganger

And suddenly the club common bitbox goes from neat to amazing!

Sign me the hell up!

18. Ben_S

Ben_S Gang Hero

Map
    Darn. I wish I'd bought the toy truck that I almost bought yesterday. Then I could have kitbashed it with leftover Ork bits, as I was thinking of doing.

I guess I'll have to hunt around. Like most people, I have numerous bitz boxes, so I'll see what I can find.

19. Kommissar Shriken

Kommissar Shriken Gang Champion
    Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
  20. Ned Noodle

Ned Noodle Ganger
    Yak Comp 1st Place

Map
    Save all your best bits, this should be about using all the crappy stuff you wouldn't normally use, the bits box tat thats been neglected for years. That's what I'll be doing, finding a cleaver use for unwanted bits. (y)

The Duke, Llewy, TakUnderhand and 4 others like this.