1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YakTribe.games Preview

Discussion in 'Briefing Room' started by Malo, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Since I've managed to post very few updates, have fallen behind in my target for the beta, and some have asked for updates, here's a preview of what I've been up to on the new YakTribe.

New Features
    Along with a complete re-code of the gaming tools for Necromunda, Mordheim and GorkaMorka, I'm also expanding the site itself with some new features. The community we've built together over the years has been able to keep these games alive but also to allow fellow gamers to find each other in the world and meet up for some wargaming. That is the basis of the new YakTribe.games site.
    • New Home page with featured items, site features and articles/news feed
    • Articles pages contributed by myself and staff for information on tabletop games, old or new
    • Favorites and Friends functions making easier to use the Player Hunter and keep up-to-date with your favorite games
    • Dedicated Games page providing favorite, player hunter, news, articles, forum integration, tags, similar games and searching for all added games. Hundreds of games to be added.
    • Location pages for your local stores and gaming centers for the Player Hunter to find your local stores automatically and add to favorites
    • Player Hunter tool to find other players in your area playing the same games and initiate meets. Totally opt-in system requiring your location with a lot of potential.
    • Competitions system allows users to browse past and current competitions and have your entries featured in their own area.
    New Gallery
    As part of the new site I'm also replacing the Gallery system with the official XenMedia addon by XenForo, instead of the 3rd party plugin I was using. There are a few technical reasons that allow me to integrate with it easier outside of the forums and it is also far better supported as an official module to XF. The new competitions area relies on this addon for full functionality and will make it easier for both the competition organizers and for submitting your work.

New Server
    Currently YakTribe is running on a simple shared hosting, which has been great so far with decent speed but won't allow growth. The new system is (already) running on a dedicated Digital Ocean droplet that I've built for it running high speed easily expandable storage and commercial version of Litespeed webserver. Combined with the recode of the tools and an overall brand new PHP structure, it's insanely fast and should really allow growth. It's about 4 times the cost of the old server but it's still very cost efficient and importantly will allow me to increase the processing power, memory or storage dynamically.

Beta Soon!
    I'm close to providing access to the test server to let you folks go in and play as there's only so much testing myself and our few staff can do (they don't have access either yet!). We'll have more information soon on that.

Here's some samples from the new site, please excuse the length of the post as some of the screenshots are quite long. I've included some shots of the Necromunda tools at the bottom as well.

Articles
    article.jpg

Favorites and Friends
    friends.JPG

Games
    game.jpg

Locations
    location.JPG

Player Hunter

playerhunter1.JPG
    playerhunter2.jpg

Competitions

comps1.JPG
    comps2.JPG

Necromunda Tools Preview

necromunda1.jpg

necromunda2.jpg
    necromunda3.jpg

2. Punktaku

Punktaku Gang Champion

Map
    guess that means i need to start playing with this site more so that i can figure it out just as you launch the new site.

Malo, dabbk, hreikin and 1 other person like this.
  3. Blood Donor

Blood Donor Executive Officer in Charge of the 2014 Bake Sale
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Yak Philanthropist

Map
    :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Those screenshots look amazing!

Malo, dabbk, djmothra and 3 others like this.
  4. CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous Gang Hero
    Yak Comp 3rd Place

Map
    HAIL MALO!! HAIL YAKTRIBE!!

Malo, dabbk, djmothra and 3 others like this.
  5. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    Nice one Malo! Those shots look proper dapper! Verily you are the master of fashionable noggin attire.

I get the feeling I've got a lot to learn on this new site set up though!

Malo, dabbk, djmothra and 2 others like this.
  6. hreikin

hreikin Gang Hero

Map
    @Malo everything looks great i cant wait for it to launch - the only thing im not keen on is the font of all the headings

will you be including any tools for Shadow War on the site or leaving that to the sites people have already created ?

Stoof, dabbk and Llewy like this.
  7. Azzabat

Azzabat Hive Guilder
    Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Amazing stuff. Likewise I'm not a fan of the font, but it is all truly amazing.

dabbk and hreikin like this.
  8. Llewy

Llewy Ganger
    Yak Comp 1st Place

Map
    Absolutely phenomenal! I think we will get used to the small changes swiftly as it all looks really intuitive. Super impressed, especially looking forward to the new gang editor.

I second @hreikin thoughts about the font for the headings though. I prefer the slightly more sombre looking font - capital 'e's rather than lowercase - that you've already used for the headings in the tools section.

Thank you Malo! Truly incredible skills.

dabbk and hreikin like this.
  9. Ptrix

Ptrix Ganger

Map
    Looking absolutely lush! Very excited to get to grips with the new gang and campaign tools, and the revamped site as a whole.

Will throw my hat into the ring for early beta testing if you need it. I'm sure @Llewy and @The Duke will be keen to help out in that regard too!

Will echo the comments about the font, it's not my fave.

#9 Ptrix, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    dabbk and The Duke like this.
  10. dabbk

dabbk Gang Champion
    Yak Supporter Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    Super exciting stuff indeed! Looking forward to beta testing it :)

11. thestance

thestance Juve

Very impressive. I can bring nothing to the table here. Make tea, maybe dance for you. You sir are a wizard. I like wizards.

spafe and CaptainDangerous like this.
  12. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Really appreciate this kind of feedback. If you or anyone would like to provide some alternatives from Google Fonts I'll be glad to give them a go. Or possibly the same one I'm using for Necromunda tools?

Most definitely. Once the Necromunda tools re-write is complete, I'll basically be duplicating them and making the appropriate modifications to create Shadow War tools.

I appreciate the kind words folks.

Llewy, dabbk, hreikin and 3 others like this.
  13. hreikin

hreikin Gang Hero

Map
    The font you are using for the Necromunda Tools is good, the first one just seems a little to "cartoony" for me.

Awesome news on the tools front, i eagerly await the updates !

Ptrix, Malo and Azzabat like this.
  14. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    Major milestone for required plugins, Bootstrap v4 final went beta so the components are now finalized. Was building it on alpha and every version had lots of changes. FontAwesome v4 is now in beta as well and I have Pro version of that implemented for icon usage throughout the site. The current YakTribe is built with those plugins but I wasn't going to construct the new Yak upon the old versions.

With the main responsiveness and flexibility using the Flex functionality of CSS, old browsers will not be compatible. Not even IE11 will be supported as it doesn't have full Flex support.

How's this for a replacement font for the site.
    yaktribe font.JPG

cardyfreak, Stoof, spafe and 5 others like this.
  15. spafe

spafe Executive Officer in charge of Hats
    Staff Member Necromunda Custodian Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    Love it, the only bit that worries me... if IE isnt supported... does that mean I need to try and get... chrome, or is it something else I;d need to get to make it work? (techno school me in terms I can hit with rocks!)

CaptainDangerous and Llewy like this.
  16. Malo

Malo YakTribe Mechanicum
    Staff Member Yak Founder

Map
    That's correct. If you're using IE now, moving to Chrome for your internet experience you'll wonder why you didn't do it years ago. Experience websites as they should be, without making a cup of tea waiting for it to render and wondering why everything looks like the 90's.

Ptrix, spafe and hreikin like this.
  17. Azzabat

Azzabat Hive Guilder
    Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

I'm loving the new layout, especially the past competitions boxes (2016 / 2017).

I think I speak for us all when I say we're incredibly lucky to have you delivering such a quality site.

dabbk, Stoof, Ptrix and 2 others like this.