1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You can now insert a snapshot of your gang into a forum post! Read this thread for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Azzabat's Entry Comp 19 - Bitz Blitz

Discussion in 'Miniatures & Terrain' started by Azzabat, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero
    Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    I don't have a lot, if any miniatures in my Bitz Box. In fact ... I don't really even have a Bitz Box. I have more of a Bitz Drawer as I don't really convert miniatures. Terrain is more my forte.

[​IMG]

A more detailed look at some of the containers,

[​IMG]

Plus of course my off cuts / Bitz of rod and tube,

[​IMG]

Just to show that these are indeed my "Bitz" and not my "stock", here's my main stock of tubes, rods, and card,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And like @ClockworkOrange I've decided to use only what was in this drawer/tubes, (except my paints which live on my desk).

Having been impressed with @Kommissar Shriken 's Despicable Me entry I had it in mind to try and make Bender from Futurama out of my Bitz Box for Comp 19.

[​IMG]

Partly because I love the character, but also as an incentive to crack on and build the Planet Express building which I've been promising myself to build for years now.. Sadly this was as far as I got with the little fella:

[​IMG]

I'm finding working solely out of the Bitz Box / Drawer is difficult. I had some nice oval screw cap covers in my tool bag that would have been ideal (and easy) for his eyes ... but they weren't in my Bitz Box. Instead I had to fabricate something out of tiny bits of tube and sprue.

[​IMG]

Stick it to some form of base so I could shape the curve to fit it to the cylindrical head,

[​IMG]

Then attach it, and file away the base.

[​IMG]

This took an inordinate amount of time to do, and I wasn't happy at all with the progress so far. I was struggling with what to do for the arms, and I had no idea how to do the legs.

I decided I was in need of some inspiration, so headed off to my local pub, and as luck would have it, my buddy Louie was working behind the bar. You might have seen some pictures of Louie in my previous posts. He's worked for me on the Zombie safe house and the Warhammer Total War sets I built for my buddy Tom for his YouTube channel Yogscast. Well, it turns out Louie's just landed himself a 'proper' job ... at Aardman Animation, and as we were chatting Animation this got me thinking about legs.

More specifically ... these legs,

[​IMG]

If you've seen my previous stuff you'll know that I very rarely plan stuff out or think ahead. In my work life I plan things out rigorously and have all details clarified before commencing a job. In my hobby work I'm totally the opposite. I much prefer to let the my thoughts and the materials I'm using take me in the direction they want to go.

So Bender is now resting in the Bitz Box, and I've decided to build the legs (Aardman Stylie) and attach them to an Ork Dread.

2. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero

Map
    I managed to have quite a productive day today considering my radical change of entry. I hooked out some old PVC pipe bits from the bottom of the drawer to act as the main chassis for my DreadnOrk.

I cut these down to size and ended up with a selection of cylinders.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the type of pipe I've got doesn't take liquid poly cement very well/at all, so I had to line the tubes with some plastic card.

[​IMG]

I capped the ends in plastic card, then set about making some sockets for the arms and legs to fit into.

[​IMG]

It's been ... challenging only using Bitz and not new stuff.. I'm used to having a whole length of rod to hang on to whilst cutting off a sliver, not trying to cut a sliver ... off a sliver!

[​IMG]

I started off with this idea that I would have 1 x Aardman style leg, and 1 x Terminator style leg. I started with the Terminator leg which was made out of 'H' beams. I had the idea that it would be raised up, either kicking something, or stepping over something.

Not to put too fine a point on it ... it was crap. So I scrapped that idea and turned my attention to a 'proper' leg.

I wanted to make something that looked like a hydraulic piston, and chanced across my prototype axel from when I made my Ork war trike a while back.

[​IMG]

I cut the top of the axel into three parts,

[​IMG]

Removed the middle section, and reglued the top back on producing this:

[​IMG]

You can also see I found my prototype fuel tank that I never used because it seemed too long. I'm gonna try cutting it in half and use it for the feet. I'll see how that goes tomorrow.

TakUnderhand, Loriel, Ben_S and 5 others like this.
  3. Fold

Fold Gang Hero

Map
    I think you're being too harsh on yourself for this comp. Just because some bits are in your tool bag and not your bits box doesn't mean they aren't in the spirit of the comp. It's all about found items instead of kits. Your stuff surely fits this category whether it was in a tray, tube, box or bag?

4. ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange Apprentice Competere
    Yak Supporter Yak Comp 1st Place

Map
    I agree with @Fold on my scrapyard I've used only bitz from the box but some of those bitz were two square plastic rods for the fence and some razor wire. They were all "new" in that they hadn't been used for a previous project or in anyway touched since buying.

Edit - plus I'm a messy troll so everything not "used" lives in my bitz box!

Edit 2- if the above isn't acceptable this is going to get complicated fast! Can you use a space marine body section? It's the same thing if you've not in anyway touched it other than removing it from the sprue......

TakUnderhand likes this.
  5. Kommissar Shriken

Kommissar Shriken Gang Champion
    Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    why not making a bender-orkdread hybrid? (i was so happy when i read that i inspired you to make bender. i love cartoons and animated movies. so for me this is a genius idea!

#5 Kommissar Shriken, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero

Map
    I will probably finish the little guy off. I often get to a stage in projects where I'm not happy with the result so far, and lose all enthusiasm for it. I'll come back to it some time later, add one or two bits, and think "ah ... yessss!" And continue on.

7. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero

Map
    A little more progress today. I managed to get the leg completed. The Fuel tank turned out to be almost exactly what I needed. I sliced it horizontally about 3/4 of the way down to give me a flat bottom, and then cut it in half to make 2 foots. (Footses? Feetes? FEET! Arrrgh ... what a berk!)

[​IMG]

A bit of 'C' beam on the back and some plasticard made a nice heel and then I added a couple of pieces of 2mm rod to look like ankle joints. You can see I also added a steel sole plate to the foot to make it look more like a boot.

[​IMG]

I really like the way the end of the fuel tank looks like a hobnail boot. If I'd had to made it from scratch I'd have been tempted to put the rivets on/across the front which I don't think would have looked as good.

I wanted to include some form of mechanism for bending the foot and I've been meaning to work out how to model pistons for a while, so this was an ideal time. More tubing and rod and this was the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front was looking a little plain so i added a steel plate. It still needs a few more rivets, and I've since added some treads to the bottom.

[​IMG]

Yuo can just see the first leg I made in the Terminator style on the right stopping old NorbOrk from rolling over. Here's a better picture, and you'll see why I decided to scrap it.

[​IMG]
    A good decision I think you'll agree.

So that's the legs sorted out. Tomorrow I'll start on the arms. I'm thinking I might start off with a Power Claw (cause I get to make some more pistons) and then I may make the other arm a big gun, or another Power Claw. I'll see what materials I have left.

#7 Azzabat, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 12:48 AM
  8. ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange Apprentice Competere
    Yak Supporter Yak Comp 1st Place

Map
    Skills @Azzabat - I just chucked loads of scrap and rubbish on a board and stuck it down....

9. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero

Map
    Ahhh, but the skill is in WHAT you chuck ... and WHERE you chuck it.

10. Xavier Bacon

Xavier Bacon Gang Champion
    Yak Comp 3rd Place

Map
    Agree with Fold and ClockworkOrange that you should dip into your other stuff if needed. Heck, my entries are currently about equal quantities bitz and Green Stuff!

All looking very cool so far! I envy your precision.

11. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

There's something extremely British about that dread! It looks like something from the Beano - in the best possible way :D

12. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero

Map
    Speaking of typically British ... I'm having a 'bugger' of a job doing the arms. I'm on my 3rd set. They're either too short, too long, or look too stupid. I'm also struggling with the claws design, though I may have got it ok at last. I've decided to work from the claws backward to the body and I'm currently waiting for the glue to dry.

Flamekebab likes this.
  13. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero

Map
    And ... nope! I still haven't gotten a design I'm happy with. This is the result of this weekends labour:

[​IMG]

Too big, too thin, or too boxy. This is what I was aiming for:

[​IMG]

Im not sure if it's not working because I'm being too technical ... or because I'm trying to work around the bits of scrap in my Bitz Box?

I may scrap the whole idea and start afresh on the arms again tomorrow. I think I need a re-think. Maybe tubes and joints aren't the answer. Maybe I need to K.I.S.S. it a bit (Keep It Simple Stupid)

14. Punktaku

Punktaku Juve

Map
    A lot of the time, we're our own worst enemy. For what its worth. I'm amazed at what you've done with rods, tubes, and beams. Just wow!

And the right claw is my favorite of the three.

15. CaptainDangerous

CaptainDangerous Gang Hero
    Yak Comp 3rd Place

Map
    Those legs are great azzabat! I really like where this is going! (More squig grommit? :p) As for the arms tho, I don't know if this will be any good, but I hope it helps...
    image.jpg image.jpg

16. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero

Map
    Cheers for the comments guys. They keep me going when enthusiasm dwindles (and the pub calls!)

@CaptainDangerous that's the sort of look I'm going for in my mind, but with my limited materials I don't think I'll get anything as finely detailed as that.

I'll see what tonight's efforts bring. = )

17. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero

Map
    I've had a bit of a better evening tonight. I managed to get an arm almost completed to the stage I'm happy with it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still think the claw is a bit on the small side. I'll have to see how the rest of the build goes.

Speaking of which, I also started putting some detail on the torso whilst i was waiting for things to dry.

[​IMG]

I was trying to go for something that looked like the dog from Despicable Me. The hatch is made of a left over piece I made the Sponson out of on the DreadnOrk Tank, and two x 25mm bases stuck in the middle.

Another arm / gun needed yet, an engine, and a whole heap of rivets.

18. King Redwart

King Redwart The Unpainter
    Yak Supporter Yak Comp 3rd Place

Map
    Dude this is awesome. I love watching the progress in your scratch built stuff. It's pretty inspiring!

Flamekebab likes this.
  19. Loriel

Loriel Gang Hero
    Yak Supporter

Map
    excellent work!

Flamekebab likes this.
  20. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero

Map
    I made a bit of a mistake with the piston on the upper arm. It interferes with the shoulder pad I put on so I can't position the arm as I would like.

That's one of the drawbacks of not working to a plan/thought out idea, but I can get over it.

I'm looking forward to working on the engine tonight though.

Flamekebab likes this.