1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You can now insert a snapshot of your gang into a forum post! Read this thread for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Gorkamorka FAQ

Discussion in 'Da Stuff' started by Flamekebab, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Ben_S

Ben_S Gang Hero

Map
    I don't see the logic of saying that two cases that are described differently should be treated the same 'in the absence of any further information to the contrary'. The different description is evidence to the contrary. It's clearly stated that downed crew fall off. There's no such statement regarding drivers, which surely suggests that they don't. If they were intended to do so then presumably that statement would be repeated.

Of course, it's not explicitly stated that drivers don't fall off, but lots of things aren't explicitly stated, e.g. nothing says that my Nob can't order an orbital barrage. There's no need for anything saying I can't, because there's nothing that says I can. Similarly, there's no need for anything saying that drivers don't fall off, because there's nothing that says they do. (This is assuming, of course, that I've not missed anything here - but you're not suggesting that I have.)

As @Azzabat demonstrates, you can house-rule whatever you like, but this thread is for questions about the rules, not suggested house rules. Adding things to the rules just because the rules as written don't have anything to the contrary, is house-ruling it, rather than interpreting the rules.

#61 Ben_S, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Flamekebab likes this.
  2. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

I agree with @Ben_S on this, chaps. Drivers are distinctly separate in the rules from the rest of the crew. They can be thrown overboard if someone beats them in hand to hand combat but unless that happens they stay aboard.

From the vehicle hit location tables:
    The driver location does not stipulate that:
    Crew are hanging onto a moving vehicle wherever they can find something to cling to. A driver is sitting down at the controls with plenty keeping his arse parked.

The FAQ's job is to clarify the existing rules as much as possible. Groups are free to change their collective interpretations of them however they choose but ideally we should be working from a common starting point (y)

I think the Pilin' On rule is the only exception to this as no one can quite agree on what the original rule means :ROFLMAO:

ineptmule and Ben_S like this.
  3. Azzabat

Azzabat Gang Hero
    Yak Philanthropist Yak Comp 2nd Place

Map
    I was just going to make that very point that according to pages 62 and 63 of the rules, the hit locations for Crew (1) and Drivers (5) are separate, so therefore intended to be treated separately.

Ben_S and Flamekebab like this.
  4. Ben_S

Ben_S Gang Hero

Map
    Indeed, I was taking that for granted, though it's worth emphasising.

Someone might say 'isn't the driver part of the crew?' but - just to pre-empt that response - note that if there are no crew then a roll of 1 hits the driver instead, so clearly the driver is not considered to be part of the crew.

Flamekebab likes this.
  5. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

I've added a question to the FAQ highlighting the distinction between drivers and crew (y)

Ben_S likes this.
  6. ineptmule

ineptmule Gang Hero
    Yak Funder

Map
    Yep that is clear, nicely clarified. I wasn't referring to the actual rule book at any point during the last few posts so I'm now convinced!

Flamekebab likes this.
  7. Kon-rad

Kon-rad Gang Champion

Map
    Good catch on the driver/crew difference. I would have (er... have been...) miss(ing) that.

Actually only spotted the whole FAQ today. Quick question

Q: What happens if your opponent performs a slow speed manoeuvre when you are tailing him? He could turn his vehicle around to almost face you, and there's no way to stay behind him.
    A:
    Slamming on the brakes to perform a slow speed manoeuvre is generally a bad idea when being tailed, although we're not going to stop anyone making that choice! The pursuer immediately hits the vehicle it's tailing inflicting a shunt-type ram (see page 37 of Da Roolz). This also ends the tail.

I like it, but that's not in the rules is it? There never was an official FAQ from GeeDub was there? Irregardless, this situation has come up in our recent games. In one instance, we used the "make a LD test to re-position the taliling/racing vehicle" rule, as it was the only one we could find and there was literally no other way the tailing vehicle could make it around other vehicles and other obstructions. Would have been a very cinematic, Dukes-of-Hazard, jump.

Here a question. How do you guys count crippled vehicles in terms of moving around on, or through? There is nothing I can find beside the bit on pg 44 about stationary vehicles counting as "part of the scenery". We took that to mean "terrain" and so, we have been counting them as difficult terrain. You don't get more stationary than a burning wreck. We've had Trakks run over them (and Squiggoths stomp through them...missed the guys hiding in the wreckage though....).
    By extension, we always treated crippled vehicles as merely terrain for shooting too. Models in the wreck count as footers for targeting. I don't think there is anything in the rules spelling that out though. What do you boyz think?

8. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

It's not in there verbatim, no. The FAQ's purpose isn't to reiterate the rules as they exist in the text but to clarify how they should be applied. To the best of my understanding of the rules the only way to lose a tail is to force them to fail a Leadership test (for turning or repositioning) or a thrust test. It's a chase though, not synchronised trukking - slowing down will result in a ram just as if the chased vehicle had failed a thrust test.

I've never seen one or heard of one and I've scoured the 'net for everything related to Gorkamorka. I could still be wrong though!

That sounds like exactly the sort of situation the rule is for (y)

I'd suggest WYSIWYG. If it was Richard's Da Trakk then I'd suggest Very Difficult Ground, for example:
    [​IMG]
    But if it was a Digga bike or some other small thing I'd consider it Open Ground to vehicles and difficult ground to models on foot.

If a vehicle becomes terrain when it's wrecked it becomes terrain - sounds like your interpretation is spot on.

I'll add both to the FAQ in a little while (y)

Ben_S likes this.
  9. DracoPT

DracoPT Ganger

Map
    Guys, I was reading the rules of the game once more and I have a question:

For the purposes of the Rapid Fire dakka skill, what is a "weapon type"? eg. its all "Shootas" or all weapons in the "Gunz" section? And if I get that skill a second time I can chose another section like Hand-to-Hand or just Sluggas?

Q: What if they have a Choppa and a Six-Shoota that needs to spend a shooting phase being reloaded - does it still confer the +1 Attack bonus?
    I guess we can imagine they don't just blast their enemies in the face with their pistols, but can use it to bash it in the head even without being reloaded, so it can still confer the +1 bonus.

I hope I could help :)

10. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

It applies to a specific named weapon type, so you could have Rapid Fire - Sluggas, but not Rapid Fire - Hand-to-Hand Weapons.
    Probably the best way to play it (y)

I'll amend the FAQ later - got to go catch a train now :(

DracoPT likes this.
  11. Ben_S

Ben_S Gang Hero

Map
    I thought that was answered no back in the day (I assume I'm thinking of some official FAQ, but I'm not certain of this).

In any case, I would think it should be no. If the answer were a yes, then surely a pistol that was out of ammo (due to failing an ammo roll) should also count for +1A. I assume that shouldn't be the case.

DracoPT likes this.
  12. DracoPT

DracoPT Ganger

Map
    You make an interesting point that I could agree with, but in the rules they state fluffwise that when a gun fail it's ammo check it's not only out of ammo but can be bits of the gun falling or duds, becoming "useless". The six-shoota when is fired and is out-of-ammo it didn't made (and fail) any ammo roll so technically it didn't became "useless" because you can spend a shooting turn reloading it, that's why I think it still confer the bonus.

I think this is the RAW (Rules As Written) way of looking to it.

13. Ben_S

Ben_S Gang Hero

Map
    Fluffwise, you can justify whatever you like (why can't you use a Shoota as a makeshift club?), but I don't see any RAW justification for that.

When you use a pistol in close combat, you use the pistol's profile (e.g. S value). That strongly suggests that the pistol is being fired, rather than used for pistol-whipping. It makes no sense to use that profile if the pistol is out of ammo, whether it be due to a failed ammo roll or needing to reload.

Flamekebab likes this.
  14. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

To the best of my knowledge there never was a Gorkamorka FAQ but I feel like something like that was the case for Necromunda.

I think this probably settles it - if a weapon cannot be fired due to ammo roll or reloading it's not usable in Hand-to-Hand combat.
    [​IMG]

DracoPT likes this.
  15. Kon-rad

Kon-rad Gang Champion

Map
    Also, in the case of a model armed with a Choppa and Six-Shoota, the model still has his free knife or knuckles anyways. Don't fergit yer knuckles!

DracoPT, Ben_S and Flamekebab like this.
  16. DracoPT

DracoPT Ganger

Map
    Can a model be armed with 2 shields at the same time? for example, 'Eavy Armor gives a 4+ and with 2 shields it can become a 2+ armor save (a shield gives +1 to armor)? and if it can then how about combat, it can still hit? And it gives 2 Blocks on combat?

Flamekebab and Ben_S like this.
  17. Flamekebab

Flamekebab Gang Hero
    Gorkamorka Warboss

I think you may just have found a loophole! To the best of my knowledge there's no rule prohibiting it.

That said only two hand-to-hand weapons can be used at a time (although a warrior can carry as many as desired) and the kinds of shields one would expect in Gorkamorka would be held in one hand. Using two at once would mean the model fights with a WS of 0 and has 0 attacks.

DracoPT likes this.
  18. DracoPT

DracoPT Ganger

Map
    So, I'm thinking about this tactic: the rules says you have to shoot/charge the nearest model right? so you give to your toughest guys (preferably T5) 'Eavy Armor, 2 shields and a choppa and on foot they'll be in front of the rest of the mob tanking almost anything with a 2+ armor save (guns ignores the bonus of the shields). Then when they charge you they'll charge these 2 tanks and they'll get a bunch of attacks but you'll get at least a 3+ armor save and up to 2 rerrolls on the Attack Dice of the other guys. If they manage to survive then you can charge safely with the rest of the mob and then you swap one of the shields to a choppa

19. Kon-rad

Kon-rad Gang Champion

Map
    2 shields.....That is utterly silly, which is to say, utterly appropriate for Gorkamorka. The mobility vehicles give you, a mobster acting like a wall on foot is probably a fairly limited tactic. (Just drive around/run over him...) I'd love to see the kit-bash though!

Flamekebab and DracoPT like this.
  20. Ben_S

Ben_S Gang Hero

Map
    Where do you get that from?

I'd suggest something like you fight at normal WS and A, but if you win you don't actually cause any hits, because you have no weapon to strike with. I don't see why having two shields would make it easier for the opponent to hit you multiple times though.

Flamekebab likes this.